Emergencies and 24-hour hotline: 202.547.7777
Info/make donations: 202.675.9340
741 8th Street, SE, Washington, DC 20003
Sasha Bruce Youthwork (SBY) meets the urgent needs of at-risk youth and their families in Washington, DC. We believe that young people and families already possess the strengths and abilities necessary to solve their problems and improve their lives. A person who believes he/she can change and who can envision a different life can make that desire real. With more than 30 years of experience meeting the ever-changing needs of DC’s youth and families with innovative programs, we are always willing to listen and ready to help.
SBY seeks individuals who want to improve the lives of runaway, homeless, neglected and at-risk youth and their families in the metropolitan DC area. If you are interested in a career at SBY, please review the current job opportunities listed below and send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, unless a different email is noted. In addition, please also print, fill out, and include the Application for Employment form found below in your email. Please include the title of the position for which you are applying in the subject of the email. Thank you.
We are seeking a Education Coordinator who will provide direct services for homeless youth in Washington, D.C. by advocating for maintaining and improving access to education. The Educational Primary Counselor provides clients with guidance, support and information to obtain their high school diploma, GED, trade certification, college admittance, etc.
Bachelor’s Degree in social work, psychology, or a related field. A high school diploma or general equivalency diploma and at least five years experience in human services delivery, preferably working with adolescents and young adults, may be substituted for a degree. Skills should include the ability to set limits and to form appropriate relationships with clients, great interpersonal skills, excellent writing, research, and computer skills, keen interest or willing to learn DC and higher education system, organizational and networking skills are critical and the capacity to work with a team, as well as independently.
We are seeking an experienced Human Resources Generalist. This position supports a busy Human Resources department with a wide range of administrative and project support. High attention to detail and ability to handle confidential information and use discretion are essential.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Actively participates and supports the delivery and administration of Human Resources professional services related to employee and labor relations, HRIS, benefits, disability, ADA, FMLA, employment, performance management, management and leadership development, and employee communication
• Confers with HR Director when providing guidance to assigned departments as appropriate. Assists HR with the analysis of trends in support of improvements to current organizational practices. Participates in business unit discussions and decisions to advise on a wide range of business issues that may impact the SBY community
• Administer, maintain, and communicates the SBY credentialing process and help to ensure all training, licenses are monitored, tracked, and renewed on a timely basis
• Oversee SBYs recruitment strategy and participates in coordination of posting job vacancies, screening resumes, scheduling interviews, and managing the SBY new employee orientation and on-boarding processes
• Provide assistance and support during employee investigations. Assist in educating management regarding the corrective action process, reviewing and creating disciplinary documents as necessary. Works diligently to resolve employee concern and issues in a timely fashion. Provide consultation in developing processes for organizational change
• Assist in the day to day handling of disability and ADA issues as appropriate. Maintain an in depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day to day client support of employees reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance
• Provide guidance to SBY interns, volunteers, contractors, subcontractors, and leadership as needed
• Serves as the lead to promote HR automation, new employee orientation, and performance management initiatives on an ongoing basis. Will also assist the HR Director to ensure all compliance issues are met and reported timely and accurately
• Supply accurate, timely communication and feedback to departments and HR Director on issues affecting business area performance utilizing surveys, focus groups, and other diagnostic vehicles
• Position requires a Bachelor’s degree in a Human Resources or related field as well as 2-3 years current related experience as a fundamental entrepreneur and background in finance, administration, or human resources and one who serves as a direct liaison with Human Resources personnel, and external departments to manage daily inquiries, provide independent resolution and can react confidentially, responsibly, objectively, and independently in the absence of the HR Director
• Basic knowledge of federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, including knowledge of EEO, ADA, FMLA, OSHA, performance management, employee relations, training delivery, compensation, benefits, and recruitment required. Knowledge of business consulting techniques, ability to analyze Human Resources business implications and effectively work with staff in a business partnership and skill in developing and delivering written and oral presentations for a variety of audiences are also required. Also required is Microsoft Office software proficiency to include spreadsheet (Excel preferred), MS power point and HR reported development and design
• Experience with DYRS and CFSA compliance
• Position requires excellent presentation skill, meeting facilitation skills, the ability to influence others, superior written and oral communication skills, including the ability to successfully interact with all levels of associates. Incumbent should be able to manage multiple priorities and should possess excellent organizational and project management skills. Flexibility and a high
• Expert knowledge of all current federal, state, and local labor laws including Equal Employment Opportunity Commission laws relating to employment
• Must have the ability to conduct sound investigations concerning employee relations and have a sound knowledge of strategic HR processes
• Expert knowledge of Microsoft office suite( PowerPoint, Excel, Word), as well an HRIS (preferably Ceridian)
• Self-motivated, result-oriented individual able to complete assigned tasks within appropriate timeframes in a fast-paced environment
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, and project management skills
• Need both a strong general business and HR acumen and have the ability to maintain confidence and integrity, persistence, and follow-through through personal effort
SBY is seeking a Licensed Nurse who will be responsible for providing direct medical services to the residential programs. Duties include distributing and logging medication, performing the triage medical examination of each youth that enter into the program, providing medication management training for new employees and a yearly refresher for current employees, and conducting initial medical screening for new residents upon admissions to any residential programs.
SBY is seeking Occasional Workers for several of our programs. They are responsible for providing direct services to residential clients, including monitoring individuals, referrals and crisis intervention. Duties and expectations may be added depending on the program. Such duties include coverage of house/office; maintaining control and supervising clients by enforcing house rules and its cleanliness and safety. Additional tasks include providing the Program Director with timely and accurate documentation of all services provided, including client progress reports and reports of problems needing immediate attention, regular house and room checks, maintaining necessary records, including but not limited to legible, comprehensive and accurate reports of house activities, crisis intervention and counseling.
SBY is seeking an experienced Case Manager. Positions are available in several SBY programs. The Case Manager will conduct all client assessments, provide case management services, develop individual treatment plans, provide appropriate referrals, attend all court and administrative reviews; provide the Program Manager with timely and accurate documentation (including client progress reports and reports of problems that require immediate attention); assist clients with discharge and aftercare planning; and maintain familiarity with local services. Additionally, he/she will ensure that all client files, records, monthly reviews and Individual Service Plans are accurate; conduct monthly review of spending; advocate for families and individuals to obtain services; and utilize automated systems to update, maintain, track and report progress.
SBY is seeking Residential Counselors for various programs. Qualified candidates will perform house/office coverage, maintain control and continuous supervision of clients, enforce house rules, and monitor house (individual rooms included) for cleanliness and safety; maintain familiarity with local services (both within and outside the Agency) that might serve as resources and identify those client needs which require outside referrals; and provides crisis intervention and on-site counseling. Additionally, he/she will provide the Program Director with timely and accurate documentation of all services provided, including client progress reports and reports of problems that require immediate attention; maintain all necessary records, including but not limited to legible, comprehensive and accurate reports of house activities in the house log; and initiate and implement special projects/activities that will benefit the residents.
SBY is seeking a Maintenance Worker who has a background in Electrical, Plumbing and Painting. Maintenance Worker is responsible for maintaining the agencies real estate properties, furnishings, equipment and vehicles so ensure they are in usable and safe condition. This hands on Maintenance Worker keeps residential homes for youth, four office buildings and a fleet of six vehicles working. The position is responsible for coordinating the work of the Maintenance Assistant, and oversees the work of outside contractors, and pro-bono group work. The work schedule is flexible and requires some early mornings to meet with contractors and occasional weekend work. The Maintenance Worker responds to emergency situations after work hours.
This position requires a High School Diploma or GED and five years of related progressively responsible experience related to the job. Employee must have and maintain a good driving record, possess a valid driver’s license, and use personal auto for work.
SBY is seeking an experienced Chief of Programs. Sasha Bruce Youthwork (SBY) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of youth and families in the Washington DC area. The agency includes 19 programs ranging from shelter for homeless youth to service-enriched transitional housing to street outreach, as well as a variety of counseling interventions using a competency-based youth development approach. Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Chief of Programs will manage overall development and successful implementation of the Sasha Bruce direct client program services. This individual must be able to ensure that direct service programs are implemented in a manner that is consistent with the mission, protects the safety of staff and youth, that fulfills funding requirements and respects the dignity of individual clients. This individual will serve as a member of the senior management team, actively participate in program planning, and will be responsible for adhering to budgets to accomplish strategic and operational goals.
The Chief of Programs will:
•Demonstrate leadership by way of understanding the programs, their goals and expected outcomes. With this knowledge be able to make succinct and thoughtful recommendations to the Executive Director.
•Ability to produce strategic models and systems for the management of the programs.
•Develop, oversee, and evaluate the programs routinely for licensing compliance and for quality assurance.
•Must be able to work collegially with management, staff and other agencies.
•Must promote collaboration, synergy and stewardship among program staff.
•Act as spokesperson and liaison between SBY and its stakeholders.
•Work actively and collaboratively to achieve objectives and goals in the organization’s strategic plan.
•Provide regular supervision of all program managers
•Facilitate consistent standards for client-centered care and positive outcomes for youth and families
•Meet with program managers for discussion, evaluation and measurement of the programs’ objectives
•Work with program managers and the SBY Director of Evaluation to develop systems to ensure high quality outcomes and services for our youth
•Work with the clinical coordinator to assure managers and staff are being properly supervised in our model of care
•Identify and propose training for youths and for professional development of staff
•Work with the Operations Team to discuss concerns and strategies related to the organization’s mission and business development
•Work closely and collaboratively with Senior Management to identify internal/external resources and opportunities that enhance the mission and youth development
•Attract, mentor, develop and retain high performing team members that can further the mission of SBY
•Instill and foster a sense of financial accountability among managers regarding the overall management of their programs
•Advise Operations Department staff on facilities maintenance and upgrades, as well as information technology resources
•Assist Development Department staff in developing and implementing new program proposals